Friday, April 11, 2014

Is This the Real Life, Is This Just Fantasy?

For those of you who have followed my writings from Day 1 - and even those who are just tuning in - you've probably been wondering as much as I have just what the hell this blog is supposed to be about. Well, if I may quote what a wise man from my childhood once said:


Fortunately I still have a lot of time left in my life to figure that out, and you really shouldn't care that much anyway. But if you do care, well, gee thanks! I think I like you. And because of people like you, I think I have found a topic to maybe stick with when writing these blog posts: WRITING.

If you're all true fans (okay let's face it, the only ones reading this are my friends) or remember previous posts such as this one or that one then you know how much I like to write fictional stories. It's a sickness, really. I spend more time thinking about characters and plot developments during the day than I do anything. If I brainstormed that stuff any harder I might even forget I'm supposed to breathe. Especially when it comes to the characters. See, I like reading books where the characters seem like real people to me. I don't mean I have to know their entire backstory or whether their carpet matches the drapes, I just need to spend enough time with the people so that eventually everything they do feels natural and right.

J.K. Rowling has been the most successful in this area in my opinion, particularly when it came to my favorite book in the Harry Potter series: The Order of the Phoenix. A lot of people like to knock this book but it was my favorite. Why? Because it's where things really begin to unfold. Harry starts the book off pissed at his friends because he feels they'd abandoned him. On top of that is the knowledge that there's an evil wizard overlord (I do NOT get to type that phrase enough in my life) out to wear him as a coat and he's got wizard SATs to study for and distracting him from all of that important stuff is his hots for the Asian chick in his class. While I personally would've gone for the Patil twins myself, Harry's dilemmas for the first time in the whole series felt real. You know before the wand battles.

                                              I mean, who's reading the books for those?

Not only that, but the characters around Harry begin to act more real and natural, maybe as a result of Harry's sudden maturing portrayal. Anytime Luna Lovegood has a line of dialogue I'm like, "Oh Luna, you would say that!"or anytime Neville's being a doofus I find it endearing, whereas I used to be more like, "Neville you stupid motherfucker!" This isn't only limited to the younger characters either. Every character in the series, whether you know a lot or a little about them, it's the time you spend with them and you getting used to them being around that makes it hurt so much when Rowling just rips them away from you with her death powers. Yeah sure you cried when you killed Lupin and Tonks. Just keep telling us that you heartless quim.

That got heated near the end. Also I apologize for the use of the word "quim," and for stealing that joke from The Curious Case of Phineas Gage. Funny play, btw.

So yes, as I perhaps too-lengthily explained I appreciate a good character who I can identify with and feel like I know personally. And I like creating characters like that so that I too can murder them in unfair and brutal ways with nothing you can do to save them. The problem is, doing that is hard. Not the killing, that's easy. It's just typing. I mean inventing these people and then writing them in a way that it feels like they're existing through you rather than you just pulling their strings. Unfortunately no amount of outlining your character will prepare you to do this properly. In fact, avoid outlining anything if you can help it. Notes are for people who aren't in it. If you're truly gonna commit to a story, you shouldn't need reminders on what happens next.

I don't think there's anything wrong with using so-called "stock characters." You can have "ringleader," "samurai," and "archer" in your group of heroes if you want. If you want them to act and talk like normal people, though, you need to surround them with non-stock characters. These "more real" characters, by interacting with the stockers, will help them grow and evolve realistically by default. Now how do you come up with real, original characters in a time where originality is almost nonexistent? It's, like, SO hard, man. So what I like to do sometimes is choose from my pool of real life acquaintances.

I know many interesting and unique people, and if they have characteristics or personality traits that I really like then I plop them down into the world of my story. I often change their names, but sometimes a person is so distinct that I just can't separate them from their real names. In these cases I ask that person if it's alright to base a character on them and they pretty much always say yes. I mean, who doesn't want a character based on them, assuming that character doesn't turn out to be an asshole?

Now if I ever decide to write a character based on any of you I know, here are some answers to your potential FAQ:

--------

Would you use my real name?

I may want to use your first name, but never your last name. And if I do want to use your name I will always ask beforehand for your consent.

So this is gonna be me running around in this story?

Not exactly. When I say the person's based on you it could mean I just needed a name and a face as a starting point for the character's development. I may use some personality traits of yours but you should never assume that this character is a representation of what I really think of you or how you would act in certain situations. In fact in most cases by the end the character hardly even resembles the person I originally based him or her on anymore. All things serve the story and none of it should be taken personally. And don't hate me if I kill you off.

Yeah, I don't think I want you to use my name.

That's not really a question, but okay, that's no problem. I'll give them a different name.

I don't want them to be anything like me either.

Well I can't help that they're a little like you anymore. I already changed the name so what more do you want, blood?

Yes.

See, now this is why the character comes off as an asshole.

--------

And you get the idea. Characters are the driving force in a story and often what makes the story feel as real as it should. Life is full of people and characters who affect you day to day, and the world of fiction operates similarly. If you can introduce a little reality into fiction, then it'll become real to the reader.

I will also be accepting applications for people to base my next characters off of so all interested should apply.

Pura vida,

Tyler

P.S. Maybe someday I'll be published and actually be qualified to say the shit I'm saying.



No comments:

Post a Comment