Saturday, September 12, 2015

Lend Me a Tenor

Hark, loyal readers! I know I haven't posted in a long time, but one of the unfortunate side effects of doing better with depression is that there's not much to write about. But, you know, I never said that's all that this blog has to be about, and if I did, then you're a much better reader than I am a writer. This blog is about something even bigger and more important: me. It's all about me, guys! I mean, I'm the one writing it, and it's a free service both on my end and yours, so really I can write about whatever the hell I want, which more often than not, is myself.

Those of you who know me personally know that I like to sing. A lot. Ever since middle school I was that kid humming or singing something in the classroom or in the hallways. I was in Chorus and the school musicals but didn't like to sing in front of audiences, but people always told me I could at least sing in tune, so I actually gave it a shot a few times with choir solos and playing steadily larger roles in shows. Jump ahead to today and I think I've actually become a very talented singer. But it didn't happen through traditional means, per say. I didn't have any extensive training aside from a couple lessons here and there, one instructor who definitely helped me improve and another who absolutely did fucking not.

When I first took lessons at age 18 I had been used to singing bass in my high school's chorus, because in school the bass section was where kids who couldn't sing went to mouth the words while still getting to hang out with the hot sopranos. At my first lesson I sing for the teacher, saying I considered myself a bass, and when I finish he just looks at me and says, "You say you're a bass, huh?" I nod, and then he tells me, "I think there's a tenor somewhere in you." So after being taught a couple of singing techniques I could suddenly sing out notes that were unreachable to me before. So thanks, bro!

But really, that was all I learned from that -- how to sing higher. I still didn't have a "voice" I could call my own or a unique way of singing. That all came next. Instead of pursuing more training or going to a music school, I just kept doing what I had always been doing: trying to sound like my favorite singers. I keep a list of male singers who have influenced me throughout my life, a list that grows with every new artist I discover, and each of them I can say taught me something and lent me some of their power, if you will.

Adam Pascal


You know this guy if you're a fan of musical theater, or if your friend forced you to watch Rent. I admit to not really being into musical theater once upon a time, but then I watched Rent when it came out on DVD and was changed. Not only did I not know rock music had a place in musicals, but until hearing Pascal sing in the role of Roger, I'd never heard anyone sing like that, with such raw vocal rock power. I loved hearing his voice and wished every day that I could sing like he does. Once I realized I could sing in the tenor range, you better believe I rushed out to try and sing "One Song Glory." From his work in shows like Rent and Aida to Chess, I would sing his songs over and over until I could comfortably hit every note, while still keeping the rawness intact. I can confidently say that Pascal was my first influence for the singer I've become.


Tony Vincent


Another singer from musical theater, I first became aware of Tony Vincent after seeing the musical We Will Rock You in London and buying the soundtrack. Vincent was the original lead when the show first ran, cast after an arduous process in which the producers realized that no one in all of London could sing Queen songs well, so they went to America and nabbed up this tall, slim piece of talent. After first hearing his voice on the album, the guy started popping up everywhere I looked, like stealing scenes in Jesus Christ Superstar or playing St. Jimmy in American Idiot, and even competing on Season 2 of The Voice. Vincent sings in a back-of-the-throat style that lies somewhere between belting and headvoice, which I adopted in order to win a solo in the London school choir I'd joined that year. It was through Vincent that I started developing a vocal range to add to my Pascal-esque style.


Ben Burnley


Even before discovering Pascal or Vincent, I had been a big fan of the band Breaking Benjamin. Lead singer/songwriter Burnley's voice has always been a main attraction to the band for me, so once I was able to hit the notes he could, I would sing along to their songs in the car. Burnley I noticed uses a singing technique similar to Vincent's when singing in the upper range, you know, when he isn't screaming or growling, but when he's just singing a verse his voice sounds like it's in a low range, when really he's still singing high. His voice just sounds low because of his unique sound, and I found his style to be a very relaxing way of singing while still sounding impressive. That, and it sounds really, really cool. I'm still working on my screams and growls, but hey, all in good time.


Tony Kakko


I wouldn't be surprised if you didn't recognize this man; Kakko is the lead singer of the Finnish power metal act Sonata Arctica, and a hell of a vocalist. Along with his fantastic stage antics and style of dress, the man can really sing. Perhaps taking a cue from David Bowie, Kakko has a manner of acting through his singing, getting across real feeling and emotion with the lyrics. His vocal range is through the roof, and when he goes into falsetto his voice doesn't get quieter like most people. I'd even say he gets louder. Naturally I started using him to develop a proper falsetto range, as well as try and practice storytelling through song.


Tommy Karevik


The most recent singer I've come across, Tommy Karevik is the lead singer of the bands Kamelot and Seventh Wonder. Aside from being insanely attractive, Karevik is a strong and precise vocalist, both telling stories with his voice and allowing raw emotion to come across in his singing. I first became a fan of his when I started listening to Kamelot this year because he sang in a range that was rather low for a symphonic metal band, and I thought, "Hey, my voice sounds a lot like this guy's, and he's a successful metal vocalist. There's still hope for me!" Of course, then I listened to his other band, Seventh Wonder, where the sky is most certainly not the limit for his vocal range, and I was put back in my place. Still, his vocal style and theatricality are proving to be a great inspiration as I continue to develop my style of singing.


Marco Hietala


Finally we've come to perhaps my favorite singer of all time, Marco Hietala, bassist and co-vocalist for the band Nightwish, lead singer of Tarot, member of Finnish supergroup Northern Kings, frequent guest vocalist for Delain, and, Jesus, he's like the definitive metal musician of Finland. Back when I first discovered Nightwish at the age of 15, while the band's lead singer is traditionally female, I became more attracted to the voice of the male vocalist, whose characteristically growly voice and stellar range and style I found on par with the band's more primary singer. Throughout the years Hietala's role in the band has grown, even singing entire songs solo. Aside from Pascal, I'd say Hietala has been my greatest influence in singing, the way he keeps a consistent growl under his voice before reaching the heavens with a mighty belt or a scream, and where he could simply sing the notes in a song, he instead attacks them. Hietala is one of those singers who can make you like a line in a song better just in the way he sings it.


Now this is far from all of my favorite singers, but it's just the few who really helped me adopt the style I sing with today. No, I'm not in a band or a professional singer, but I do put my pipes to good use every other week at karaoke. And it's just cool to have a talent even if I'm not necessarily using it. But if you have a band and need a singer, well, ahem.

So adieu for now, readers, and go on and check out the work of these artists who influenced me. You just might learn a thing or two about singing yourself, and frankly, some of you could use that.

Tootles,

Tyler




No comments:

Post a Comment